Electronic Journals

Marty Tanner Hughes mthughes at libris.libs.uga.edu
Wed Nov 12 09:01:19 EST 1997

Our library is acquiring an increasing number of subscriptions to
Web-based journals and other resources. We're looking for a friendly
way to present these journals to our clientele. When the numbers were
small, we were able to offer a link from our web site to each journal,
but with Project Muse and JSTOR subscriptions and various publishers
offering all of their titles online, the numbers seem to demand a different
approach.

While we catalog our electronic journals, we don't have a web-based
online catalog (yet), so we're looking for a way to get users to the
resources from our web site.

In addition to subscriptions, we also want to point our users toward
"free" resources on the Web. Do we mix these in with our "on-campus
only" subscriptions?

Does anyone have good solutions? Do you list individual journal
titles or just link to the projects? Would a database help us
maintain a list of journals? Is an alphabetical list and/or one
arranged by subject useful to users of your web site? Do you have
searching facilities to help users find particular journals? What sort
of workflow do you use in subscribing to electronic resources and
making them accessible? I'd love to hear about successful methods and
to see examples of what others are doing.

Thank you for your help.
Marty Tanner Hughes
Asst. Systems Librarian
University of Georgia Libraries