Web Search Engines "Made Simple"

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Wed Nov 5 14:33:18 EST 1997

 It's the "Authoritative Guide
>to Web Search Engines" by Susan Maze, David Moxley, and Donna Smith
>(published by Neal-Schuman, ISBN 1-55570-305-4).

I would like to second how useful this book is.  The problem with anything
written on paper about the Web is that it quickly becomes dated. While
several of the search engines have changed, mostly cosmetically, since the
book was written, the background information about how spiders work and how
each engine operates was really helpful. Plus, the book is written in a way
that folks who aren't totally Web-saavy can understand.

As long as we're plugging resources, I would have to say the best source of
information about search engines has got to be www.searchenginewatch.com. I
point to it on our web site because I've find that it's more up-to-date and
comprehensive than any other source on the Web. Besides, I don't have a lot
of time to spend creating local pages with in depth evaluations and
comparisons of search engines, so it's nice to find a resource like this.
We have a couple pages of brief information about each engine, but I think
that if someone really wants to delve into the intricacies of search
engines and learn as much as they can, this site is definitely one of the
best.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu