Web Search Engines "Made Simple"

Arlene R. Quaratiello arqinfo at shore.net
Wed Nov 5 08:29:08 EST 1997

For quite some time  I've been looking for a resource that would explain
clearly what the differences are among the various Web search engines,
when to use which one, and how to do it most effectively.  I've finally
found my sought after resource and felt compelled to share it with those
of you who like me have experienced frustration and confusion when
trying to find what you want on the Web.  It's the "Authoritative Guide
to Web Search Engines" by Susan Maze, David Moxley, and Donna Smith
(published by Neal-Schuman, ISBN 1-55570-305-4).  The bulk of the book
describes and evaluates seven specific search engines: AltaVista,
Excite, Hotbot, Infoseek, Lycos, Open Text, and WebCrawler, and provides
details on how to use each one.  Directories like Yahoo and Magellan are
also discussed in a separate section. Although the authors acknowledge
that these tools undergo constant change, they affirm that these changes
are largely cosmetic and so the book will remain valuable for some time
to come.  As a librarian who searches the Web daily (often hourly!), I
feel much more competant when helping patrons now that I have read this
book.  And I refer back to it often.  Neal-Schuman has a website
(http://www.neal-schuman.com) where you can get further information or
even order the book online (choose the "Virtual Catalog" link).

Best Wishes,
Bernadette Frances