Web Search Engines "Made Simple"

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Mon Nov 10 10:53:08 EST 1997

At 09:37 AM 11/10/97 -0800, Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
>... Maybe if we channel our frustration in a positive way, we might
>have a hand in designing better information retrieval products. There's so
>much good stuff on the Web, and it would be really great if we could help
>people find it consistently without having to beat their heads (our ours!)
>against a wall in the process!

Just in case it's not obvious, some of us in the business of developing
information retrieval software are paying close attention to the points of
view of library science professionals.  For Verity, our involvement with
library professionals over the last few years has led us to evolve our
product line substantially.  We expect to deliver the first relevant
products early next year; they've been previewed at a few public functions.
These products will add cataloging capabilities to our traditional strengths
in concept-based retrieval, with our profiling tools as a accelerator for
subject-based cataloging.

Having said all that, I must add that we are not designing our products
specifically for libraries and librarians, with the exception of corporate
librarians who are looking for a way to organize intranet resources.

Nick Arnett

Product Manager, Knowledge Applications
Verity Inc. -- Connecting People with Information

Phone: 408-542-2164               Fax: 408-541-1600
Home office: 408-733-7613         narnett at verity.com
http://www.verity.com