AltaVista and the worse search crime

Joe Barker jbarker at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 10 11:20:01 EST 1997

	Linda's comment below reveals a phenomenon I have long observed
with A-V.  The results can vary from zero to thousands with exactly the
same search.
	When I teach searching of A-V I tell students to try at least
three times every search in A-V and then use BACK to get to the highest
result.
	I have e-mailed A-V for an explanation and got no reply.
	I have come up with the explanation that A-V must allow you a
given time in their database and send you the results found -- whether
partial or totally inaccurate.
	Their failure to document or admit this "feature" is the worst
crime against search engines I've seen -- this long dialog on search
engines has not mentioned anything quite so horrendous as to report no or
partial results when the search is valid and documents exist.
	HAS ANYONE GOT A RATIONALE OR EXPLANATION ?
	Joe Barker
	The Teaching Library
	UC Berkeley