inconsistencies web search performance

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 7 18:10:42 EST 1997

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Scorpion project at OCLC, so
I'll jump in.  It automatically assigns subjects using the Dewey
Classification to free text.  It looks very promising.  I heard Keith
speak on it yesterday and his excitement is contagious.  It turns out
Dewey concepts are very intelligent having been refined and worked on
for many years by people trained in information searching and retrieval.
 So the vocabulary does not need to be built.  LCSH and LC class schemes
are some other possibilities.

Check it out at:

http://purl.oclc.org/scorpion

Sincerely,