launching *.exe application

Alan Boyd Alan_Boyd at qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Fri Nov 7 15:05:29 EST 1997

We would like to try to standardize on a web interface for library public (Win
95) workstations, but several of our machines also need to run standalone
CD-ROM applications (e.g. specialized Art and Science databases).  Right now
we just have the Windows desktop plastered with icons for each of the CD
products as well as the Netscape icon.  I'd be nice to actually be able to
bypass the desktop icons on these specific workstations and launch numerous
different Windows applications from  URLs embedded in some HTML text.  We
could then do a better job of explaining what each product does and just say
"insert the CD and click here to search the database".  We don't know of any
way for Netscape helper applications to differentiate launching "aaa.exe" or
"bbb.exe".  Has anybody found a way to work around this?

Alan Boyd
Associate Director of Libraries
Oberlin College Library
Oberlin, OH 44074