Dvorak in NY Times

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 4 14:57:10 EST 1997

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Jacques Presseault wrote:

> Bob Craigmile wrote:
>
>> Great little story about how useful libraries on the web are.
>
> Free of charge ... provided you are in the United States.    :-I
>
> Thank you NY Times!        :-o

While it's good to have high-profile recognition of the value of library
services on the web, I do hope UC Berkeley has prepared a response to
Dvorak's statement:

   Unfortunately, there are some disappointments. The University of
   California at Berkeley went online too early and saddled itself with
   an old-fashioned, teletype-oriented system. This system is vastly
   outdated, as is the similar Orion system at the University of
   California at Los Angeles.

In libraries, what is "too early?" Should Berkeley and UCLA have waited
for 1997 developments to roll out the slick web site that Dvorak seems
to have missed? If they had waited and watched (like a prudent business
trying to gauge profit from web enterprise), where would all of us be
now?  Castigated by pundits like Dvorak for being hopelessly unprepared
for the information age, that's where.

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."