Need assistance diagnosing web problem

C Eric Tull tull at acs.ucalgary.ca
Sat Nov 1 19:00:34 EST 1997

We have the same problem, but at the other end.  We subscribe to
two databases from Research Library Group (Anthropological
Literature and Avery Index).  We recently switched at the
University of Calgary Library to Netscape 3.  When we try to
access these databases, we get into the database and then there
is a long pause.  Finally the message below appears on our
screens.
"Your browser sent a message that this server could not understand"

We talked with RLG and they said that their system had trouble
with a certain version of Netscape 3.  We have had the same
problem with other versions of Netscape 3, but Netscape 2.01
works fine.  RLG did not indicate that they were correcting the
problem.  Since their system does not provide access if you use
Internet Explorer or lynx, they are really limiting access to
their subscribers.  As we need to provide access to these
databases, we are advising our users to use the telnet gateway.

Are others having this problem with RLG databases?

Does anyone have any insight as to what causes the problem?

Two other housekeeping queries:
1. Does anyone have an easy method of responding to a particular
   Web4Lib message when you receive your messages in digest form?
   We use elm on AIX for e-mail.
2. Recently I have often received 2 or 3 copies of the digested
   messages.  Are others experiencing this or is the problem
   local to my system.  It's hard enough staying awake throgh
   one reading of the filtering messages, let alone 2 or 3. :)

Eric Tull