scanning services for a digital library

Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil
Fri May 30 11:12:40 EDT 1997

     Hello, All:

     I'm making a digital library from scratch for the Army's Center for
     Healthcare and Education Studies at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.  I'm at
     the point now where I'm looking at options for a scanning service for
     the library.

     At the outset, I have an estimated 75,000 leaves of documents to be
     scanned.  About 60% of the leaves are unbound, but perhaps 40% of that
     material may need to be retyped or enhanced for decent scanning.

     I'm weighing my options--whether to go with a professional document
     imaging service or to have the Army invest in scanning equipment and
     have a small full-time staff (maybe one or two people) do the scanning
     in-house.  I'm talking to some document imaging services here in San
     Antonio, and I realize that no matter which route I take, I'm about to
     undergo a mighty expensive undertaking.

     Once the library is up and running, I'm sure more documents will start
     pouring in.

     Any advice from individuals on this list would be welcome.  I'd
     especially like to hear from those of you who've done business with
     document imaging services, or who have experience with scanning large
     volumes of material.

     I'd also like to hear from folks who have a digitized section of their
     catalog.  I'm going to start working with EDS to build the catalog
     from a SEQUAL(sp?) database soon.  I guess the coding will start in
     two weeks.  Some people involved with the project would like to have
     the digitized material in the library held in only a downloadable
     format.  My inclination is to have the material held in both
     downloadable and viewable formats.  I know how library patrons love to
     view and browse--and a lot of my patrons won't be sophisticated enough
     to realize that their computer is caching everything they'll view
     through this web-based catalog.

     How do those on this list feel about downloadable-only versus the
     downloadable and viewable argumemts?

     Also, could anyone out there give me the e-mail address for the
     digital libraries discussion list?

     Thanks,

     Carolyn Ellis Gonzalez, Librarian
     Martek Communications, Inc.