Restricting intranet to staff use

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 28 21:38:50 EDT 1997

On Fri, 23 May 1997 12:51:37 -0700 cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us (Chuck
Bearden) wrote:
> At Houston Public Library, we are starting to think about an
> intranet, with a web server serving policies & procedures,
> system news, etc., and with a listserv to distribute messages
> more effectively to large groups of staff and possibly to host
> discussion and exchange lists.  We would probably want to restrict
> access to the web pages and listserv to library staff.
>
> For those libraries running intranets, do you take measures to
> restrict their use to library staff?

Fancy network topology can be used to set this up, but you can also do this
by creating a directory on your web server with a single username and
password that you publish on your staff mailing list.  Set up your staff
mailing list so that subscription requests must come from the list owner to
people outside your staff cannot subscribe to it.  Reguarly change that web
site password in case it leaks outside of your staff.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                   http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html