A non-hoax e-mail transmitted virus

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Tue May 27 22:33:03 EDT 1997

Dear Bill Crosbie,

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried to track down a reference to this
at the McAfee site, but it was the slowest, most frustrating site visit
I've experienced in ages, and in the end I crashed, and gave up at that
point. Glad you were more persistent, and I apologize for questioning
your verification--I just wasn't able to find it myself, so wondered if
McAfee was being mis-cited. Another posting today refers to it as
SHARETHEFUN--and mentions a bunch of other macro viruses. Those things
are really malignant.

Again, thanks for the timely warning.

	Dorothy Day

On Tue, 27 May 1997, Bill Crosbie wrote:

> At 02:57 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >If you can provide authentication for this, please do so. I checked both
> >the DOE's CIAC site and McAfee's site, and could find no mention of a
> >virus called Sharefun.
> >

> Dorothy,
>
> First of all, thank you for the excellent reminder that you shouldn't post
> such messages without verifying them.  Of course, looking at the URL posted
> in my message, you will see such verification.  My only error may be that
> the actual virus name is SHAREFUN.A
>
> I am not some net newbie taken in by the Good Times hoax.  I am a network
> administrator and know my way around the on-line world.  This threat is
> _real_ according to McAfee.
>
> >> 8<x-----------SNIPPITY SNIP----------------x
> >> For an in depth look at ShareFun visit McAfee:
> >> http://www.mcafee.com/support/techdocs/vinfo/v3333.html
> >>

> >> MCAFEE DISCOVERS SHAREFUN VIRUS; FIRST MACRO VIRUS TO AUTOMATICALLY EMAIL
> >> ITSELF TO UNSUSPECTING VICTIMS
> >>

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
>  than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
>  Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
>  your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
>  Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
>                                        |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
>       ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****
"I was brought up to believe that the only thing worth doing was to add to
the sum of accurate information in the world."  --Margaret Mead