WEB4LIB Re: Resetting Netscape to Homepage

Chad Thornton thornton at tahoma.cwu.edu
Fri May 16 12:21:46 EDT 1997

We are using Netscape 3.0 as our front end to local databases and also
OCLC FirstSearch.  The machines (about 20) run Win95 on a Netware 4.11
network and print to HP LJ5 printers.

We are running a homegrown shell that I wrote in Visual C++.  It basically
allows patrons to run Netscape and allows staff to access system functions
via a password box.  We've been using it this last year with great
success.

A couple months ago I added the functionality to reset Netscape to the
homepage.  My program monitors keyboard and mouse usage via Windows hooks.
After a certain timeout period (four minutes currently) patrons get a
warning dialog that counts down from ten.  If they don't hit cancel, my
program runs a WinBatch program that resets Netscape to the homepage by
passing the keystrokes needed to select the "home" option from the
Netscape menu.  I later added functionality to close down background
programs (patrons usually double-click on options in Netscape and
therefore run two copies of DOS CD-ROM programs).  Also if someone closes
Netscape (seems to be a natural instinct) it starts up again.

An unexpected bonus is that if Netscape is minimized it maximizes again
upon reset.  However, this technique does not run with all programs.  I
noticed that the 3.0 version of Acrobat Reader does not work well with it.
However, version 2.1 works fine.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share more information on this.
In fact, since this seems to be a common need, I'd also be happy to modify
the program for more generic usage and post it to out website.