Mice vs. trackballs

Steve Hunt steve at lalaw.lib.ca.us
Wed May 14 12:29:23 EDT 1997

We started out with trackballs on our public access workstations but
recently switched to mice.  We went with trackballs because of the
anti-theft arguement.  The trackballs were integrated into the
keyboards.  They were small and cheaply made.  They got dirty easily,
and then would not work well.  This would cause users to press down
harder on the trackball, which caused mechanical failures to start
occurring.  I think trackballs are more difficult in general for users
to use.  Mice are cheaper than trackballs, and cheap mice work better
than cheap trackballs.  My $.02.

Steve Hunt
steve at lalaw.lib.ca.us