NCs or X-Terms

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Sat May 10 13:34:46 EDT 1997

At 11:59 AM 5/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Are X-terminals or the new, much-hyped Network Computers (NCs) being
>> considered for use as locked-down web browsers in any libraries out there?
>. . .
>The ideal device (does it exist?):
>--has the ability to run a browser
>. . .
>What other characteristics should this device have?
>. . .

A purchase cost including 15" or larger high resolution monitor of under $700.
As long as I can buy a fully functional PC that can be configured to meet
my needs and reconfigured\repurposed as those needs change for under $2K
paying $1K and above for a fancy dumb terminal is penny wise but pound
foolish (as my grandmother would say).
Have we so soon forgotten why the -Personal- Computer was developed in the
first place----???
---My own opinion -- all standard disclaimers apply--

Paul H. Gray
Learning Resources Manager   *VOICE (817)515-6623
TCJC NE LRC                  *FAX (817)515-6275
828 Harwood Road             *E-MAIL phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Hurst, Texas 76054