Restricting intranet to staff use

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Fri May 23 14:20:08 EDT 1997

At Houston Public Library, we are starting to think about an
intranet, with a web server serving policies & procedures,
system news, etc., and with a listserv to distribute messages
more effectively to large groups of staff and possibly to host
discussion and exchange lists.  We would probably want to restrict
access to the web pages and listserv to library staff.

For those libraries running intranets, do you take measures to
restrict their use to library staff?

If not, why not?

If so, how do you go about it?

	-IP-based authentication for services (e.g. via tcp
		wrappers)?
	-Clever network topology?
	-Login scripts for intranet web-space?
	-Restrictions on who may post to mail lists?

Also, what especially useful intranet services have you
implemented?

Thanks for your input.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002