WEB4LIB digest 573

Judith Falzon jfalzon at CapAccess.org
Fri Mar 28 13:49:18 EST 1997

> Before we get hot and bothered, perhaps we should consider if there is
> really a problem or just a perception of a problem.  No need to block a
> perception.

**Perception or not, it's a real problem when state and federal
legislators propose laws onerous to public library service (and
questionable in terms of First Amendment rights and certainly against
the Library Bill of Rights so many library boards have adopted).

Also it's a problem at the municipal level when local prosecutors
opine that it *is* the librarians' responsibility to monitor
websites to protect against potential harmful display to minors.

It is also a problem when librarians easily cave in to various pressures,
hoping the problem will be solved.

Judy Falzon
Technology Coordinator
Sandusky, OH