What was blocking the sites?

Tom Tipsword TOM at wilbur.db.erau.edu
Thu Mar 27 16:47:30 EST 1997

Karen Schneider writes:

> Folks, I have received a large  number of supporting messages
> from all you other "social issues" out there, one message
> suggesting I'm about to be sued, and  two phone calls from filter
> vendors; as well as several messages asking me if I thought OCLC was
> blocking gay sites (no!), one  accusing me of saying that Bess,
> definitively, blocked the OCLC records I was viewing (no, go back
> and reread the message), and one asking me if the Library of
> Congress was blocking sites (no, not them either).  Last but not
> least, I received one message saying I should not have been looking
> for "gay books" on company time (it was 5:25 p.m.; raise your hand
> if you get to work before 8 a.m and work through lunch).  (Gee, and
> all that happened LAST Thursday was I got my picture in Information
> Week...)

Well, I for one think we owe Karen some thanks for adding some
factual material to our mostly philosophical discussion.  It's all
very well to talk (hopefully  passionately, but politely) in the abstract
about these matters, but we need <facts> on which to make our
decisions as to what's the right thing to do in our particular
situations.

TNT
A supportive "non-social issue" (unless curmudgeon counts :> )

Tom Tipsword
Systems Manager, Hunt Memorial Library      vox:  904-226-6601
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University        fax:  904-226-6368
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/~tom/     tom at wilbur.db.erau.edu

"Books, like certain gems, can be fragile despite their great density and weight." -- John Crowley.