What's New on the Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 27 13:03:47 EST 1997

What's New on the Berkeley Digital Library SunSITE
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/

We've had a number of major new additions since my last message. Here is a
summary. To keep up with new additions on a regular basis, see our
What's New page at http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/new.html . Let me know if
you have any questions or comments.
Roy Tennant
SunSITE Manager

A New Look!
-----------
Yes, Virginia, we've changed our look yet again, but this time it is a
fairly minor change. As of today we are now displaying advertisements on
our splash screen (the entry page). No, we are not pitching laundry
detergent, but rather SunSITE resources. The ads are selected at random
from a growing pool of ads, all of which may be seen at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Admin/ads.html .

New Resources
-------------
Entirely new additions to SunSITE include:

* California Heritage
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/CalHeritage/
A new collection of archival finding aids and thousands of photographs
relating to California history. This project is supported by the National
Endowment for the Humanities, and builds on the work of Daniel Pitti and
others to develop an international standard for encoding archival finding
aids in SGML.

* DigLibns: Digital Librarians Discussion List
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/DigLibns/
In support of our mission to help others build digital libraries, we
created a discussion list in December focused on practical issues and
procedures of interest to those building digital libraries. The
discussion numbers more than 1,200 participants world wide.

* Partners for Advanced Transit and Highways (PATH) Database
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/PATH/
The world's largest bibliographic database pertaining to intelligent
transportation systems (beam me up, Scotty!), and the fruit of Steve
Morris' labor at the Institute for Transportation Studies Library.

* NCSTRL: Networked Computer Science Technical Reports Library
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/NCSTRL/
The archive of UCB computer science technical reports, as well as
simultaneous searching of similar archives around the world.

* Video Welcome Message from Peter Lyman
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/lyman.html
A video welcome from Peter Lyman produced by the Berkeley Multimedia
Research Center.

* South Asian Diaspora Database
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SouthAsianDiaspora/
A database to facilitate networking among people interested in the South
Asian Diaspora, managed by Suzanne McMahon.

* PubLib and PubLib-Net
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/PubLib/
In our quest to further the development of digital libraries everywhere,
SunSITE now hosts the premier discussions for public libraries and
librarians.

* Bibliographies
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Bibliographies/
A new SunSITE section of bibliographies, inaugurated with Phyllis
Bischof's African American Theses and Dissertations, 1907-1990.

* Librarians' Index to the Internet
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/InternetIndex/
A searchable and browseable index to the best Internet resources on a
wide variety of topics. The index is being constructed online by a group
of California librarians, and now numbers in excess of 2,500 annotations.

Major Updates to Existing Resources
-----------------------------------
Almost nothing remains the same on SunSITE, but these are the major new
additions to these sections of the server:

* Emma Goldman Papers
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Goldman/
More of Goldman's writings have been added to
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Writings/. There are new sections on Movies
(inaugurated with a brief newsreel) at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Movies/ and Curricula that provide teachers
with materials to use in association with SunSITE resources to teach
important concepts (http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Curricula/).

* Jack London Collection
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/London/
A new section on Jack's journalism has been added at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/London/Journalism/, more critical works have
been added, a new group of nine letters, and more of London's writings
have been added, including the illustrated novel _Burning Daylight_.

* Literature @ SunSITE
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Literature/
We continue to chip away at a core literature collection with the
addition of Conrad's _Heart of Darkness_ and Thoreau's "Civil
Disobedience". Watch for much more as we tool up this project.

* Madera Method
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/MaderaMethod/
K-12 classes are now actively using this site to learn history and
writing. The site also continues to grow with much more historical
material added, including excerpts from historical newspapers,
photographs, and more.

* Online Medieval and Classical Library
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/
In a flurry of activity over the last several months, we have added seven
texts to this collection, including works by Chaucer, Chretien DeTroyes,
and Apollonius Rhodius.