Question for the filtered

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Wed Mar 26 16:59:00 EST 1997

Christopher Jackson wrote:

>To those who favor filters:  How do you feel about the CDA?

I think it is a well meaning, but too vaguely defined attempt at
protecting minors.
How do you think we should protect minors, other that handing their
parents the ALA Bill of Rights and saying "Sorry, don't do the in loco
parentis thing"?

>And how do you feel about the First Amendment?

I don't understand the question.

>Do you feel that laws should guarantee access to controversial speech, but
that >public institutions should deny such access?

It sounds like your mixing up controversial speech, which could or could
not be pornographic, with pornographic speech, which is usually
controversial.  I don't recall me or anyone else on this list proposing
that speech be limited in public institutions merely on the basis of its
controvesialness.

>Or do you think the laws should proscribe such speech, and that public
institutions >should take over while we wait for our legislators and
courts to catch up?

See above.

Question for you:
What about the people who argue against the CDA based on the supposition
that filters *are* and effective solution?  Would you agree that filters
are effective?  Or are these people mistaken?

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 635-0392
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us