Broken Images

Shawn J.P. West (BlackSheep) kiratoy at panix.com
Tue Mar 25 22:52:18 EST 1997

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Sarah Fredline wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone tell me what causes images not to load properly when the links
> are valid and the images are available?  In my experience of other sites,
> sometimes my browser tries to download images for an interminable amount of
> time and I usually have to tell it to stop in order to get it to give up.
> Other times it gives up very quickly and displays the broken image icon, but
> then on reloading the graphics download easily.  I am just wondering where
> or how the decision to stop trying takes place.  Does the server give up
> trying to send, or the client give up trying to receive?

There are a number of reasons that come to mind
1) The server is being taxed by a high number of hit and the response is
slow.

2) The graphic was scaled badly. What i mean is sometimes to save time
i've seen web sites where people have scaled a  very large graphic to make
it very small this puts more stress on the "client ie. netscape or
internet explorer". Because they have to scale the graphic. Even thought
netscape uses height and width to draw the web page, microsoft does not
and this can slow your page.

3) Bad html if the the code is bad it will also slow the draw of pages

4) The graphic is corrupt.

5) There are memory leaks in the browser and you need to reload the the
page this happens when you have a lot of windows open at least is on the
macintosh. Though i have not run into the problem on the pc usually i get
a GPF [ general protection fault ]

Just my experience

http://panix.com/~kiratoy                    kiratoy at panix.com
http://www.kiratoy.com                       kiratoy at 2600.com

"I question authority because it questions me"  sjpw -12.31.96