Broken Images

Sarah Fredline s.fredline at qut.edu.au
Tue Mar 25 21:27:04 EST 1997

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what causes images not to load properly when the links
are valid and the images are available?  In my experience of other sites,
sometimes my browser tries to download images for an interminable amount of
time and I usually have to tell it to stop in order to get it to give up.
Other times it gives up very quickly and displays the broken image icon, but
then on reloading the graphics download easily.  I am just wondering where
or how the decision to stop trying takes place.  Does the server give up
trying to send, or the client give up trying to receive?

The reason I ask is that we have received complaints from a Faculty on our
own campus that they get a high incidence of broken images when trying to
access our pages.  As this is not a problem from anywhere else on campus, I
tend to believe that it is a problem with their local network or their
browser configurations.  However they insist it is a problem with our server.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Sarah Fredline
Electronic Information Services Librarian
Queensland University of Technology
GPO Box 2434, Brisbane Qld. 4001
AUSTRALIA
Phone: (07) 3864 1386