censorship etc. etc. etc.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Mar 25 16:06:27 EST 1997

>      One of her first jobs was at a public library, and she often had to
>      eject teenagers who were getting rowdy because they were reading the

>      dictionary.  Yes, the dictionary.  They were looking up all the
>      naughty words they could think of and getting all giggly about it.
>      So...are we going to get rid of dictionaries now?  :-)

I recall the American Heritage Dictionary showing up on more than one list
of banned books.  So there's at least somebody out there who wouldn't take
your smiley as a given.
:-\

Come to think of it, we've got the AHD loaded on our server.  It wouldn't
be hard for me to add a checkbox so people could limit to words with a
usage type of "obscene"!

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu