e-mail and new services for public use in libraries ?

scharles libernet at midtown.net
Tue Mar 25 13:52:57 EST 1997

Hello:

I get questions from patrons all the time concerning email, and why they
can't send any on our public access internet computers.  Usually they want
to send email to a web page. For those patrons that have an email account (a
shell account for example) I tell them to telnet in and log on and use the
email features provided by that system. Typically they don't have their own
email address so I tell them it's not possible to send or receive email on
our system, which up to now I thought was correct. (We have not set up an
email server on our public access computers so I don't see how they could
receive any email).

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I'm afraid I don't speak or read Finnish.

Thanks,
Scott C.