Jerry's List

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Mar 25 11:13:12 EST 1997

My next column in American Libraries discusses Jerry's List (of
filter features, that is). I think it's a GREAT list--though I modified
it slightly (in part because 800 words is barely long enough to get
started on such a powerful topic).  I also tested Cyberpatrol and
Bess, and interviewed several librarians who had tested these
products.   (I couldn't get Cybersitter to work--the problem is
more on my end, I think.)

 There are a few bottom lines to these products; the biggest is that
you should be able to read, and edit, any lists of sites or keywords
used by the product.  This isn't just about them--it's about us.  If
you think it's so important to filter sites, well... I think filtering
software is inevitable anyway.  (I'm not saying that's good or bad.)
 But professionals take responsibility for their actions and are
able to speak to their decisions.  For librarians, "I didn't know, I'm
not responsible, the company does this for us" is not an
appropriate statement.

I hope y'all read and respond to my column, brief as it is ( though
it won't be out for several weeks yet).  This is an important topic
that speaks to the essence of who we are as librarians.

K. Schneider/US EPA Region 2 Library