Altavista: Required Terms

*Kate McGraw kmcgraw at epfl2.epflbalto.org
Mon Mar 24 22:26:36 EST 1997

Sarah,
Your message didn't match my own study of Altavista searches so I just
went and checked. When I entered
+nesbeitt +library +bridgewater
I got a retrieval of 6 hits. It was only when I left out the + signs that
retrieval went up to 30,000. I didn't try this search with the advanced
engine but have found in the past that you get the same estimated number
of hits with the boolean "and" when compared to simple searches using the
+ on every term. The order of retrieval will be different unless you also
put the terms in the ranking box on the advanced form.
Don't know why your search didn't work, but you might want to try it again.

Kate McGraw
Librarian / Business, Science and Technology
Enoch Pratt Free Library
Baltimore, MD 21201 USA
kmcgraw at mail.pratt.lib.md.us
http://www.pratt.lib.md.us/pratt/depts/bst/