Java/Javascript applications for libraries?

Rhyno Art arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca
Mon Mar 24 11:46:53 EST 1997

> Again, I am looking for wothwhile Java and Javascript applications for
> libraries.  I have been actively scouring Java Sites and Javascript
> sites all over the Internet.  So far (after three weeks of looking) I
> have only found three such things worth including.  I have put linksto
> them or have the actual application on the following URL:

One of the most interesting applications of java for libraries is in
creating Z39.50 clients. OCLC had a web page demonstrating its java
implementation entitled "zapplet" that seems to have disappeared, but the
class libraries are still available via anonymous FTP at ftp.rsch.oclc.org.
Although java has direct support for socket programming, a socket can only
be opened to the web server which supplied the applet to the browser, so
you need a workaround to use this type of applet unless your Z39.50 server
happens to sit on the same machine as your web server. Willow, the main
access method for the University of Washington Libraries catalog and
research database collection is in the process of being re-written for Java
(see the white paper at <http://www.washington.edu/willow/java.html>).
Unfortunately, java can greatly tax network bandwidth for many applications
and there may be more examples of useful library applets as distributed
middleware is used to lower the overhead of loading applets in a web page.
Netscape's decision to build a java-based CORBA (Common Object Request
Broker Architecture) implementation into its browser may push the use of
CORBA to create advanced, multi-tier java applications for the Web and
hopefully that will mean java can deliver more powerful library
applications without waiting forever for the applet to start.

We are quite interested in the use of java for Bibliographic Instruction
but we don't have anything that is suitable for demonstration at this
point. Good luck in your search,

art
---
Art Rhyno, Systems Librarian