Pull the plug -- libraries aren't common carriers

Martin Cohen mjc at simon.stmarys-ca.edu
Sun Mar 23 18:40:56 EST 1997

I think Nick Arnett summarizes the issues well. His recommendations
accord well with our practice. When we began creating our library Web
service in mid-1993, we knew we wanted a WWW collection that would, as
Nick puts it "begin small" and grow in a manner appropriate to the
community of users we serve (defined in this case as our students and
faculty). We see our goal as highlighting, organizing, and facilitating
access to those WWW resources consistent with the mission of the Library
and the College.

However, I have noted from the usage logs of our server that a large
fraction of users go immediately to global search engines and meta-sites
(e.g. Yahoo) rather than the subject-specific, tailored collections we
have organized. I think this is in part a result of their perception that
our Web site provides local information (i.e. about the College and the
Library) while they are interested in entertainment or research or the
experience of surfing the Web. And in major part because we are relying
on a commercially produced browser (Netscape) that embodies its own
agenda, different from ours -- i.e. attracting users to its own
advertising (Microsoft's Explorer is even more egregious). We accepted
the "free" software. We pay for it in the subordination of our mission to
corporation's commercial goals.

The problem is very much as Nick has characterized it. If we make
available machinery whose configuration we do not control we are in
danger of reducing ourselves to a common carrier.

However, the problem is gnarly. The range of sites we would exclude (or
not select) if we were to configure our Web service as we would configure
a collection development profile would be far wider than the
pornography-type sites on which discussion is focussed. Many commercial
sites might also be excluded. We don't subscribe to Hustler, but neither
do we subscribe to Cosmopolitan, National Enquirer, Guns & Ammo, or a
whole range of "supermarket" publications.

On the other hand, we do subscribe to a large number of publications with
small press runs: specialized academic journals, small press poetry and
fiction books and journals, etc. The WWW equivalent of these are sites
maintained by individuals or small groups of volunteers devoted to
"unprofitable" subjects. Our highlighting of these is based on our mission
as an educational institution, not on their popularity.

If library collections are merely a cross section of the publishing
world, justified by providing a collective purchasing service (through
tax or tuition dollars), then they have missed their mission.

Martin J. Cohen                                 mcohen at stmarys-ca.edu
Media Services and Library Systems              voice: (510) 631-4229
Saint Mary's College of California              fax:   (510) 376-6097
Moraga, CA 94575                                ars longa vita brevis