Censorship absolutism: A contrarian position

Dspp at aol.com Dspp at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 01:52:28 EST 1997

In a message dated 97-03-21 20:33:03 EST, DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us (Burt, David)
writes:

<< There are some good arguments against filtering, but the "we would  select
*everything* if we only had the money" argument isn't one of  them.  >>

I think you misunderstand my point; I will assume that I was unclear. Open
internet removes any monetary considerations that might exist for the
addition of any titles, pornogrpahic or nonpornographic. While there is a
dearth of librarians who would purchase pornography for their collection,
full access to the internet allows the patrons, not the librarians, to make
the decision on what they want to see. Ideally, we would carry everything. To
me, offering full internet access and then blocking sites is clearly
content-based censorship.

Where the notion of mixing adult selections with children's titles came from,
I don't know.  We carry "R" rated movies, but we do not shelve them next to
the Barney tapes. I will check the Highlites section for danger tomorrow.

DSP Popeck