Censorship absolutism: A contrarian position

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Fri Mar 21 20:16:00 EST 1997

DSP Popeck wrote:

>The economic factor certainly is a major influence. While the cost of
>internet service is the same whether you censor or not, carrying every
>single title certainly is not a consideration. The electronic medium allows
us to
>step back from the de facto censorship that occurs in the title selection
>process.

No, the economic factor isn't the slightest influence at all when it
comes to deciding if it's a good idea to put Hustler next High-lites in
the Children's Room.  I'll give you $20 if you can find a children's
librarian who would buy Hustler for their collection given an unlimited
budget.

There are some good arguments against filtering, but the "we would
select *everything* if we only had the money" argument isn't one of
them.