plans for library web services? - I'm glad you asked that question.

Brian Stone stone at imcpl.lib.in.us
Thu Mar 20 13:39:23 EST 1997

We (a public library) are aggresively persuing the use of the web for public
service functions. Today you can view the catalog (z3950) with holding
(bypass z3950 - were on V2) and renew your books (new). We will soon allow
patrons to place reserves from the web. We are also working on web
authentication so we can offer our database  subscriptions to web users
(currently this is only offered inside our branches). Another project in the
works is to deliver reserve and overdue notices using email.

That packard bell commercial about librarys that causes such a stink on this
list really pumped me up. Why not make it easy for our patrons use their
library from home.

Other things I like to see is a virtual reference desk with an associated FAQ.

If your interested, you can see what we have done so far at:

http://www.imcpl.lib.in.us/catalog.htm

You can even do some practice renewals using 2 1978 01035 2856 as you
Library Card Number. It's got some flaws, but it works.

Brian

At 02:30 PM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>The standard library web service these days seems to include a
>web-accessible OPAC and some static library web pages with information for
>patrons and links to other online resources.  In many cases libraries are
>using the web as an interface to other traditional services such as
>reference, ILL, etc.  In some cases we see full-text, image archives, or
>other collection-like material published on the web.
>
>My sense is that most libraries are using web publishing primarily as a way
>to deliver information to patrons (rather than, for example, to appeal to
>potential donors or to build an intranet improving technical services).  Is
>this impression valid?
>
>What new directions are libraries (particularly academic libraries) planning
>for web-based services during 1997?  If your library is planning, or even
>contemplating, major new initiatives in web publishing, we'd love to hear
>about it!
>
>JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
>Academic Education Coordinator  E-mail: jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
>1299 University of Oregon       voice: 1-541-346-1746
>Eugene, OR  97403-1299          fax: 1-541-346-3485

Brian Stone