Help! Links w/Lynx don't work

Michael Reagan mreagan at email.csun.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:04:59 EST 1997

Here's a suggestion about a possible cause for the unexpected white
space in your links:

While most of our pages are created on a PC with an editor, then sent
to a Unix account with ftp, on occasion we make minor corrections with
the Pico editor in the Unix environment.  The original PC editor wraps
lines, and on ftp these wrapped lines become loooong lines, with no
downside.  Pico accepts these long lines, and allows them to spill off
the right side of the screen, with a $ to show that the line continues.

At a point in the line, however (I suspect it is 255 characters), Pico
inserts a line break, willy-nilly.  The browser displays this break as
a space, if it occurs in text, and most browsers ignore it if it is in
a URL.  Lynx, being more law-abiding than most, apparently chokes on
the space.

My solution is to avoid editing with Pico, and to insert line breaks
in those extended lines myself, if I have to use Pico on an HTML
file.  When I have rid the file of all $s, then I can trust it again.

Michael Reagan   KK6WO                  Circulation Unit Coordinator
mreagan at csun.edu                        University Library
(818) 677-4391    fax (818) 677-4136    California State University
home (818) 449-0996 fax 449-0952        Northridge CA 91330-8327
pager (818) 828-1226                    packet KK6WO at W6VIO.#SOCA.CA.USA.NA
--... ...-- -.. . de gustibus non est disputandum -.- -.- -.... .-- ---