Help! Links w/Lynx don't work

Joe Schallan jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Mon Mar 17 19:47:21 EST 1997

At 3:29 PM on 3/17/97, Andrea L. Duda wrote:

>Looking at the source file for this page shows things like this:
>
>	<LI><STRONG>Web search tools [<A HREF="http://altavista.
>	digital.com/">Alta Vista</A> || <A HREF="http://www.
>	webcrawler.com/">Webcrawler</A> || <A HREF="http://
>	www.lycos.com/">Lycos</A> || <A HREF="http://www.excite.
>	com/">Excite</A> ]</STRONG>
>
>Apparently Netscape can handle URLs that are split across two lines, but
>Lynx cannot.  When I edited the page so that URLs were on a single line,
>Lynx was able to connect to all the search engines without a problem.

THANKS to all 25 web4libbers who so promptly replied to my inquiry
about nonworking links with Lynx.  I am reproducing Andrea Duda's
response (above) because it hits the gist of my problem.  Thanks, too,
to Roy Tennant and Carole Leita for further detailed advice.  At
least 20 of you caught the problem.

I did not know those spaces/breaks were in my URLs -- they
were not apparent in my text editor, so it the difference in behavior
between graphical browser and Lynx was mystifying to me.  Also,
I wouldn't have known that Lynx is sensitive to such things.  (At
least some versions of Lynx, because some of you reported being
able to launch from my page w/Lynx with no problems.)

Carole Leita made the wise suggestion to run all HTML through a
validator.  I hadn't taken the time to do that, of course.  Good
idea.

The quick and voluminous help provided by this list is awesome!
Many thanks.

Joe Schallan
Glendale Public Library
Joe Schallan, MLS                             jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Reference Librarian and Web Page Editor
Glendale (Arizona) Public Library                        (602) 930-3555