lib4web

Toni Alatalo antont at funkis.lib.hel.fi
Fri Mar 14 08:38:58 EST 1997

Bringing web for libraries is great but also the opposite should be done.
The Internet, especially the web, needs its library.  That is already
being built by several companies, research units, scientific and public
libraries etc. and I believe there's more than enough work for everyone.

Besides substance also location is an important part of the service.
Where will Internet's libraries reside?

There has been some conversation on our national lists here in Finland
last autumn about this matter.  Most people didn't found addresses too
important and forgot all about it.  Quite recently, actually this
February, the subject came up again when the IAHC (International Ad Hoc
Committee: ISOC, IANA, IAB, FNC, ITU, INTA, WIPO) announced it proposal of
seven new top level domain names.

Will the libraries feel comfortable under .info, for example, or would
they need their own top-level (.lib?)  Note that the business sector is
now divided in three (.com, .firm, .store) and arts, recreational
enitities and individuals have their own as well.

Here's the list, whole announcement is at
<URL:http://www.isoc.org/whatsnew/iahcreport.html>

 .firm
        for businesses, or firms
 .store
        for businesses offering goods to purchase
 .web
        for entities emphasizing activities
        related to the WWW
 .arts
        for entities emphasizing cultural and
        entertainment activities
 .rec
        for entities emphasizing
        recreation/entertainment activities
 .info
        for entities providing information
        services
 .nom
        for those wishing individual or personal
        nomenclature

For me as a total net-head this proposal means the death of libraries, but
I try to understand that is not the case.. ;)

-
Toni Alatalo, civil servant             http://www.lib.hel.fi/~antont/
Helsinki City Library / Cable Book      http://kirjakaapeli.lib.hel.fi/