Confidentiality of browsing records

Lani Teshima-Miller teshima at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 13 15:14:36 EST 1997

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, JOSEPH MAXIMILLIAN MURPHY wrote:
> ...My (very vague) understanding is that the police have the right
> to use anything in plain sight, but have limits on how much extra effort
> they can go to.

I've found this discussion to be very interesting and enlightening. When
it comes right down to it, whether "hitting the back button" by a police
officer is legal or not, will be decided by the courts. I don't think
that's happened yet, has it? How would a judge see this? [Of course once a
test case *does* go through, whichever way it is decided may affect others
for a long time.]

Just my two cents. :>

* Lani Teshima-Miller <teshima at Hawaii.edu>.....Student Services Officer *
* School of Library & Information Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa*
* "Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to   *
*  that of an ignorant nation." -Walter Cronkite            '97 UA M+2P *