Printing PDF files

Michael Huber mhuber1 at umbc.edu
Mon Mar 10 12:40:27 EST 1997

UMBC began placing some reserves, mostly professor generated material, on
the Web in Adobe's PDF format.  Some of the documents are 20+ pages and
can run up to 1.5 MB's in size.

The problem I am running into is that they take 20 minutes or more to
print.  (i.e. it takes 20 or more minutes for the file to be fully entered
into the print queue, from which out pay 4 print system prints)  I have
486/DX2-66 Value Points with 8 Megs of ram running DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1,
Netscape 2.02, and Acrobat 3.0 for public web browsers.  We have a Netware
3.11 server (print queues are located here), the physical network is
10BaseT and fiber (10Mb).

Does anyone else deal with PDF files of this size?  Can anyone offer
suggestion on how to reduce the printing time?  I have tried the above
setup with 16 MB Ram and I do get a 30-40% reduction in 'printing' time,
to make patrons happy I need to reduce 20 minutes to 1-2 minutes.  I don't
think this is possible but, I want to explore all avenues before making a
decision.

Thanks,

	      _____)         Michael Huber - Computing Support     ___)
         _____)           Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery       ___)
   ______)        University of Maryland Baltimore County   ____)
   ) Opinions and Ideas expressed above are (c) by M. Huber )