Staten Island, etc.

Donald Barclay dbarclay at Bayou.UH.EDU
Thu Mar 6 15:00:30 EST 1997

This is from page 6 of the March 1997 <<American Libraries>>.  It concerns
a NY statute making it illegal to distribute any material that are
"harmful to minors":

"to avoid prosecution under the statue, librarians are force to closely
monitor every minor utilizing a public-access computer with the capability
of accessing the Internet.  If a Web site contains material that a parent
or other citizen might consider objectionable, the librarian must then
prohibit access.  Failure to do so constitutes a Class D felony,
punishable by up to four years."

Yikes.  Instead of going to library school, I should have become a drug
dealer like my mom always wanted me to.  It pays better, and if you get
caught you do less time.

Donald A. Barclay
Coordinator of Electronic Services    always the beautiful answer
University of Houston Libraries       who asks a more beautiful question
DBarclay at uh.edu                               --e.e. cummings