FW: Staten Island Porn on the Internet, Part II -Reply

Richard J. Violette rviolett at socialaw.com
Thu Mar 6 09:06:09 EST 1997

Dear WWWebers,

Brian Stone wrote:

> "Jackson has seen Surfwatch in action, blocking adult patrons from
> sexual sites on the library's computer, but no one has formally
> complained about the lack of access."
>
> What a shock. Perhaps those folks don't value their first amendment
> rights.

Would YOU actually complain to a library staff member that you couldn't
visit an "adult sexually-oriented" site?  I'd be far too embarrassed
myself! ;-{)>

As an aside, I think it's interesting that no one has yet pointed out
some of the economics of the situation.  The analogy to libraries
subscribing (or not) to, say, PENTHOUSE is faulty, since it doesn't take
into account the allocation of resources to subscribe to PENTHOUSE.
There is the subscription itself to be paid for, the amount of space it
takes on the shelves, the staff to process the issues and renewals,
binding costs, etc.  Using these arguments, it is fairly easy to make a
case that these resources might be better allocated to another
subscription.

On the other hand, "adult" sites (I hesitate to use the word
"pornographic," since what I consider distateful or obscene may be very
different from what others would consider so), are just "there."  Once
the initial investment is made in providing Internet access, it doesn't
cost anymore to the library if a patron accesses PLAYBOY's Web page
(they DO have one, don't they?), than, say Yahoo! or CBS's.  Now, an
investment must be made in either policing the terminals or purchasing
the appropriate filtering software. Is this the best way for the library
to spend its resources?  Undoubtedly, some would argue, yes.  And it
appears that many libraries will now not have any option but to make
this investment.

/s/ Rich.V.

--
Richard J. Violette    | 1200 Court House           | "He chose to be
Catalog Librarian I    | Boston MA 02108            | rich, by making