Advice on Web Strategy

Diane Madrigal dmadriga at unix2.nysed.gov
Thu Mar 6 10:24:36 EST 1997

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Bill Jupp wrote:

> The library at Leeds University is at the stage where it is moving
> from a small number of pages maintained by one person to a much larger
> site (to include library guide, library catalogue and contributions
> from library departments).  We want to get this change right so we are
> looking for advice.
>
> The issues that seem to be problems to me are:
>
> 1) intuitive navigation for the user
> 2) maintenance of links etc by the webmaster
> 3) codes of practice for the contributors

With regard to item 3):

On the govpub list, two US agencies recently posted the URLs for their
web publishing guides for web pages.  In both cases, multiple
people/offices contribute pages for the website, and the publishing/style
guides were created to establish standards and achieve a more consistent
look for the sites.  The URLs are:

New York City Link
http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/style/home.html

Minnesota Department of Economic Security
http://mn.jobsearch.org/general/webguide.htm

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library
State Education Department