Information display systems

Anne George amg at rca.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 04:37:21 EST 1997

At the Royal College of Art we are looking at the way information flows (or
doesn't flow around the College) and ways of improving the efficiency with
which  people get to know about a whole range of things happening within
the College. We have only just been networked and are therefore new to the
Web in many ways.

              While the development of our Intranet will provide us with
some of the answers and getting individual courses to contribute details of
events happening within their areas to a general screen will help with the
gathering of info - but because many people do not have a computer in place
on their desktop or are not regular users of one I was also interested in
some way of making key information from the Intranet available in strategic
places like the canteen and the library. I am aware of work that has been
done on kiosks but wondered about the possibilites of interfacing web
technology with some sort of an information/presentation display system
which would display key happenings for that day on a larger screen,
preferably without re-keying the information.

           Has anyone done work on this area? - I'd be grateful for any help

Anne George                       | Royal College of Art
amg at rca.ac.uk                     | Kensington Gore, London SW7 2EU.
Tel 0171-590-4221                  |