FW: Staten Island Porn on the Internet, Part II

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 16:51:42 EST 1997

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Burt, David wrote:
> But libraries don't carry copies of Hustler or "The Story of O" or
> "Debbie Does Dallas" and no one suggests that policy is in violation of
> the First amendment.

Sitting on my side of the Atlantic I'm forced to ask why, if porn is
seemingly so popular (and not just with teenagers I'll warrant), why
public libraries don't include it in their collection development
policies? I can understand our University library not holding it (its
collections are develop to support teaching - that's why we've precious
few Barbara Cartland novels or Cosmos outside of the staff room)  but I
still can't quite see why a public library would refrain from holding
legal and obviously very popular resources.

Or maybe they do and I just don't go to the public library often enough
(well ever actually; there's more than enough to keep me occupied in the
University library!).

Tatty bye,

Jim'll