Panorama and SGML

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Tue Mar 4 13:22:16 EST 1997

I wish I had known of your experience before the meeting.

Earl

Subject: Re: Re[3]: Panorama and SGML
Author:  Erwin Wodarczak <ewodar at unixg.ubc.ca> at INTERNET
Date:    3/4/97 1:06 PM

At 05:36 27/02/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I went to a "Panorama presentation" yesterday at the Canadian Embassy in
>Washington.  Panorama is made by Soft Quad - which is a Canadian firm - and
they
>were showing a US Department of Defense application.  Attendees included
people
>from IBM, several major publishers, various DOD offices, and a collection of
>consultants.  The Chairman and the major technical people from SoftQuad were
>also there.
>
>There was a roundtable discussion after the presentation.  The summary is that
>Panorama works.

Not quite - Panorama Pro might work - Panorama Viewer still doesn't (for me
on Win3.1 and Netscape Gold 3.0 anyway).

<snippage>

>There is a difference between Panorama Pro and the viewer you can download
from
>their site.

No kidding  ;-)

  They are trying to generate revenue in order to support more
>development - like all other software firms - and we talked at length about
>their pricing model.  But I would caution against deciding about the product
>based on experience with only their "free, downloadable" viewer.  It is a
niche
>product - designed to provide the ability to view SGML - but it does not have
>the flexibility of their Panorama Pro product.

Isn't a freeware version supposed to develop a market for the "pro" version?
If so, so far it's failed in our case - I can't (and won't) justify paying
for Panorama Pro if I can't use and demonstrate at least some of its
features on the free viewer.

<more snippage>

>We do not run 3.1 on any of our development machines because most of the
recent
>software demands at least 95.  The 3.1 configuration was discussed
yesterday as
>an "annoyance" item - briefly.  Have you tried emailing SoftQuad about the
>problem?

An "annoyance" - great.  And, yes, I have e-mailed SoftQuad, and received no
reply.  While they do say the free viewer is unsupported, I had hoped for
some response at least.

I'm still waiting to hear about another SGML viewer to come on the market,
myself.

Erwin Wodarczak - Records Analyst / Archivist
UBC Library - Special Collections and University Archives Division
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: ewodar at unixg.ubc.ca
Tel: (604)822-5877   Fax: (604)822-9587

We do precision guesswork based on vague assumptions and unreliable data
of dubious accuracy