"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Mar 4 08:20:25 EST 1997

I'm going out on a limb here because I did not see the report.  It was
summarized for me by my supervisor, who had some questions.  He mentioned
that the internet 'expert' said that one way that Leslie Stahl's page could
be perceived as having greater credibility was the fact that it was being
served from the CBS.COM domain.  Did that in fact happen in the report?

If so, does it concern anyone that a major media player has defined
themselves in such a way?  I am worried about the extension of this argument
to - "If I haven't heard of this domain, or person, or if it is not someone
that I am familar with, that it must be bunk."

Seeking clarification and enlightenment on this topic.

Bill Crosbie
 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114