"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations

Mary-Ellen Mort memort at netcom.com
Mon Mar 3 16:53:54 EST 1997

Yes I saw it.  There was a lot to be amused (or alarmed) by in that report!
My favorite moment was when Lesley Stahl asked this goofy net guy if he
had ANY proof when he said that missles shot down the TWA flight on his
website. He said something like "Well, you can believe what you like."
And she said "Then you have no proof at all?" He said "So?"

Those of us who work with the public know that far too many people believe
that if a document neatly typed then it must be true! We librarians, as
the ultimate suspicious data consumer, have much work to do!

Mary-Ellen Mort
JobSmart Project Director
memort at netcom.com