Guidelines for linking to other Web sites

Martin Cohen mjc at simon.stmarys-ca.edu
Sun Mar 2 21:40:01 EST 1997

Margaret Riley gave a good answer to the question. I can second what she
said, based on our policies. We view Web sites very much like regular
collections. Sites are chosen by librarian subject selectors (the same
librarians who choose books and periodicals). In general, we do not link
to a site based on a solicitation from the site. I as Webmaster
frequently receive these solicitations. Generally I ignore them.
Occasionally they do call attention to valuable new sites, or ones we had
not discovered. We link to sites based on the overall quality of
information, and especially their relevance to the curriculum of the
College. Some of these are commercial sites. But those are ones that
present high quality, highly relevant information or services (e.g.
AltaVista or Yahoo) which outweigh the distractions of the advertising
also present on the site.

Martin J. Cohen                                 mcohen at stmarys-ca.edu
Media Services and Library Systems              voice: (510) 631-4229
Saint Mary's College of California              fax:   (510) 376-6097
Moraga, CA 94575                                ars longa vita brevis