HotJava Browser 1.0

jedwards at uottawa.ca jedwards at uottawa.ca
Mon Mar 31 06:35:30 EST 1997

Bill,

I agree totally with you. My experience with it has been very
disapointing. I  tried HotJava Browser 1.0  on a 133 pentium, 24mb
ram with Windows 95 and it was clear that I will not be considering
using it. We will have to wait for another version. Right now it id
far from being attractive at all and it certainly does not give a
very good image of JAVA.

I would like to add the following points from the HotJava Browser
(  http:// www.javasoft.com/products/HotJava/hjfaq.html#nonetnews ):

1. Viewing  files from the c: drive is not done  as with
    Netscape or Internet Explorer. You need to use a different
syntax. Ex: /c:/yourfile

2.HotJava 1.0 does not support JavaScript

3. It appears that you can send mail but not read mail?

4. HotJava 1.0 does not support network news (NNTP)

Jean-Marc Edwards
Systems Librarian
University of Ottawa