removing entries from Netscape Helpers

Steve Clancy sclancy at uci.edu
Wed Mar 19 16:41:07 EST 1997

The only method I've ever found is to physically edit the "netscape.ini"
file.  It's messy, but it works.  Seems dumb not to have this as a regular
feature doesn't it?

I did find this by doing a search of the Netscape help pages:

"On Windows, the panel contains several fields and buttons to specify
MIME file types (a method of differentiating file formats using a
suffix appended to a file name), helper applications, and associated
actions. A scrolling text field lists the helper applications available
to the Netscape application. Each line of the text field contains
information about one helper application. By clicking on a line in the
text field, you can see and modify preferences for the selected helper
application in the area below the scrolling field. Currently,
*Windows does not offer the ability to delete a helper application item.*

On Macintosh and UNIX, the panel contains a scrolling text field that
lists the helper applications and plug-ins available to the Netscape
application. Each line of the text field contains information about one
helper application or plug-in. After selecting a line in the text
field, you can press the Edit, New, or Delete buttons to display a dialog
with the text fields and buttons for manipulating the
information associated with the selected item. For example, pressing the
Edit button displays a dialog that lets you see and modify the
selected item's MIME file type, suffix, and associated action to handle
the file format. "

Apparently you can delete on Macs and Unix machines, but not in Windows.
No reason given.

--steve

Steve Clancy, M.L.S., Science Library, University of California, Irvine
            P.O. Box 19556, Irvine, CA 92623-9556 U.S.A.
  714-824-7309 * http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~sclancy * sclancy at uci.edu
           "You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!!!"