Firewalls (access vs security)

John Gresham jgresham at franuniv.edu
Wed Mar 12 20:56:49 EST 1997

Greetings from a newcomer to the list (and new to library webmastering
-- check out my work at http://gabriel.franuniv.edu/jp2/jp2home.htm )

I am interested in learning about how others have worked out security
issues with their network people. Right now we are blocking telnet
access to our catalog from outside our network (!) How have you provided
security for your library systems?  Also, our network folk have raised
concerns over the use of non standard ports for some of the services and
sites we link to -- since it requires opening additional ports in the
firewall.  Insights, suggestions, etc are appreciated including
suggestions as to sources for educating myself about these network
issues -- I don't  necessarily want to get into network security but to
be able to communicate with our network people on these issues -- I feel
like I run into a sort of pro-access librarian (me) vs pro-security
network administrators (them) scenario. Does this sound familiar to
anyone out there?

John G.
* John Gresham, MLS, PhD        Phone (614) 284-5459        *
* Head of Information Services  Fax   (614) 284-7239        *
* John Paul II Library          Email jgresham at franuniv.edu *
* Franciscan University of Steubenville                     *
* Steubenville, Ohio 43952                                  *