Launching Programs from a Web Page Under Win. 3.11

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Mon Jun 30 19:48:45 EDT 1997

TPTESAR at am.pnu.com wrote:

>           I am seeking information about techniques for launching
>           programs via links on a Web page using 16-bit versions of
>           either IE or Netscape and Windows 3.11. For example, we have
>           a local CD-ROM version of Medline available on our LAN.
>           Normally people set up an icon in Program Manager to launch
>           the Medline software. I would like to provide a way for
>           people to do this by clicking on a link in a Web page. Any
>           suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>           Tim Tesar (tim.p.tesar at am.pnu.com)
>           Pharmacia & Upjohn Research Library

Our WinCentral product family, based on WinFrame, does this.  Standard
DOS/Windows applications can be launched from a web page.  The
applications can be 16 or 32 bit; the client can be Windows 3.x, 95, or
NT (options for Mac/UNIX).  The big advantage is that the applications
do not need to be installed on the client at all.  They are installed on
and run on the WinCentral server.  A single server can support from 10
to 25 users.  The WinCentral server can then connect over the network to
an existing NT or Netware based CD server to deliver CDs information, or
to a file server for hard disc based applications.  Also supports
dial-in networking, so users could dial-in to the network to get to your
home page, and then run remote applications.  Otherwise, connections can
be LAN/WAN/ISP.  If the user has a browser and can get to your home
page, you can deliver the same resources through your web page that are
available to users locally.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc./CD Solutions
mailto:dennis at dati.com
Voice (770) 339-6554
FAX (770) 682-0629