CDA

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Mon Jun 30 13:21:15 EDT 1997

> At 01:47 PM 6/27/97 -0700, Ronnie Morgan wrote:
> >> But we haven't said we were against it.  I **AM** a free speech advocate,
> >> but I am **NOT** a porn pusher advocate, as some of you seem to be.
> >Please allow me to apoligize for the above statement.  I *KNOW* that none
> >of you are "porn pushers", it's just that, I never said I was not for free
> >speech, and I don't like that the assumption was made.  So, I turned around
> >and did what was done to me, and it was wrong of me to do that.

> Ronnie, unfortunately I can't see how you can advocate the use of
> filtering products in libraries, and at the same time assert that you
> support free speech. The positions are contradictory.

What's so wierd about that? Your statement isn't logical - for example, I
support freedom of religion, but probably wouldn't join a coven any time
soon, or invite one (or any type of overtly religious activity) to the
library. Same thing for freedom of speech/filtering products. I think it
really depends on the library/community, etc.

> So you mentioned that you have _The Joy of Sex_ in your stacks.  I assume
> you don't want kids to see it...so what's your policy?  How do you make it
> accessible for adults, but not for children?

That's what many libraries did, I believe...

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu